Mudgalopanishad

Most of India's historical sites are poorly maintained or completely neglected with just a rudimentary sign-board by ASI indicating that these are protected monuments...which by itself is a huge joke..

Tall claims by Governments (state/central) in India about literacy levels and the educational system has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Wherever I traveled I saw BPL children were mostly on the streets and not in class-rooms..
When I visited Mudgal on a weekday, hordes of children were playing on the streets or were..
On spotting a camera on my person dozens of the urchins volunteered to take me to the top of the fort...
Mudgal was a Rajarishi who wrote one of the 108 Upanishads called, rightly so, Mudgalopanishad.
The major part of the fort is in the plains and is well populated...
Most of the forts I visited, typically, were surrounded by villages with Muslim majority population - and Mudgal was no different.
The Hill top was reserved for the Royals..
The outer fort has a wide moat, which is filled with water. The width of the moat varies, being as much as 50 yards at several places.
Mudgal is also known as Lord Ganesha's teacher.
Mudgal was an important outpost of the Kakatiya kingdom. Malik Naib, after seizing Devagiri, captured Mudgal along with Raichur. After the establishment of the Bahamani Dynasty, the Bijapur kings took possession of the western and southern parts of the territory of the kingdom including the forts of Raichur and Mudgal.
 I bid farewell to the Fort and wished the kids well and headed back to Raichur.
The Guru shall impart this in a pure place, on a sacred star, after regulating the vital airs to the humble disciple, in the right ear. It should not be done too often – it would become stale but as often as needed, in the ear.

Thus both the teacher and the taught will become Purusha in this birth.

This is the Upanishad.

Om ! May my speech be based on (i.e. accord with) the mind;
May my mind be based on speech.
O Self-effulgent One, reveal Thyself to me.
May you both (speech and mind) be the carriers of the Veda to me.
May not all that I have heard depart from me.
I shall join together (i.e. obliterate the difference of) day
And night through this study.
I shall utter what is verbally true;
I shall utter what is mentally true.
May that (Brahman) protect me;
May That protect the speaker (i.e. the teacher), may That protect me;
May that protect the speaker – may That protect the speaker.
Om ! Let there be Peace in me !
Let there be Peace in my environment !
Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

Here ends the Mudgalopanishad, as contained in the Rig-Veda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle of Raichur - One of the bloodiest battles in Indian History

The Badshah who was a Jagadguru

A Vibrant Village Jatre